Monday 25 April 2011

RSS Feeds

RSS Feeds are an excellent way to save time on searching the web and instead have information sent directly to your desktop. Instead of going to Favourites and clicking on each site, the site comes to you via its feeds. I set up a number of feeds including ABC News Top Stories; Powerhouse Museum Photo of the Day; Bette Davis News; Flight Centre; Genealogy & History News; Historic Houses Trust News; Librarybytes.

RSS Feeds are applicable to libraries and should be linked to the catologue to generate feeds of newly acquired and catalogued content; to library newsletters to send the latest information & activities to patrons; linked to New Books Blogs so that the library can feed the discussions direct to users, etc.

I'll certainly use them now instead of just book marking my favourite sites as I have done previously. I think I'll save time by so doing and it eliminates having to search the site to find the latest content.

RSS feeds could also belinked to library subject guides so that as new content is added to the guides the patron is informed accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment